- You have more to move than you estimated Without fail, most of us are astonished to discover the true amount of "stuff" we've accumulated. The key here is to start organizing and purging as soon as you decide you're going to move. By doing so, you'll have plenty of time to decide the best plan for dealing with all that stuff. Determine what will definitely go with you to the new home. Anything that won't be going with you can be dealt with in one of three ways: donate useable items to charity; hold a Moving Sale, with a plan to deal with anything that doesn't sell; or, throw it away.
- Poor packing planning This kind of goes along with Pitfall #1. Packing takes a LOT of time and the proper packing supplies.
Use quality packing supplies.
- No truck available At the risk of sounding like a broken record, plan ahead and schedule your move well in advance of the day you're planning to move. Keep in mind that nearly everyone wants to move on weekends or at the end of the month. To avoid paying premium rental rates, try to schedule your move early in the week, avoiding Fridays and Saturdays. The same goes with moving at the beginning or middle of the month.
- Bad weather As you can see, there are many things that you can control that will make your move go smoothly. Unfortunately, the weather is not one. But, while you can't wiggle your nose and conjure up warm, sunny day, you can prepare for the weather. If your move is scheduled during the summer, have lots of water and, if available, at least one air conditioned room to take periodic rest periods. During cold weather months, be sure to de-ice driveways, sidewalks and steps. If possible, allow a 1-2 day cushion to re-schedule a move if the weather really throws you a curve ball.
- Children & Pets Kids will want to be part of the moving process and they should be. However, very young children will benefit from not being underfoot during the big move. Encourage them to pack some of their most special belongings themselves and keep them close at hand. Special boxes, such as Truckie's Treasure Chest,
Truckie's Treasure Chest
Yes, moving day is stressful. But, with thoughtful planning and preparation you can successfully manage a smooth move. If it is more than you want to handle, look into professional moving services. The American Moving and Storage Association is a valuable site for tips on hiring a professional mover as well as great insights on the items discussed above and more.