Preparing to sell your home means more than just deciding to do it yourself or choosing a realtor you feel comfortable with. “First impressions count. Potential buyers are envisioning themselves living in your home as soon as they pull up to the door,” says Wendy Mackey, Preferred REALTOR® Partner with TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® of Greater Lansing. Here are her top tips to make your home more appealing to potential buyers.
Perk up the curb appeal.
- Trim bushes and shrubs so they don’t block windows, doorways or walkways.
- Put a pot of bright flowers (or a small evergreen during winter months) on the front porch.
- Edge the grass around walks and trees.
- Lay a new doormat.
- Put a new doorknob on the front door.
- Put a fresh coat of sealer on a blacktop driveway.
- Install a new mailbox.
- Upgrade outside lighting fixtures.
- Polish, paint or replace the house numbers.
- Keep gardening tools and children’s toys out of sight.
- Paint door and trim work if the paint is peeling.
- If there is a door bell, make sure it is in good working order.
Make your home bright and welcoming.
- Use incandescent light bulbs for a warm, homey feel.
- Put out fresh pot potpourri or burn scented candles for each showing.
- Buy new pillows for the sofa.
- Buy a flowering plant and place it in a window that is frequently passed.
- Make a centerpiece, using fruit or artificial flowers, for the dining table.
- Replace heavy draperies or curtains with sheer ones to let in more light.
- Put out new towels in the bathrooms.
- Have the driveways, sidewalks and entryways cleared of ice and snow and salted if necessary.
- Replace furnace thermostat batteries.
- Make sure the porch lights are on for evening showings.
- Have a boot tray or rug by the door to encourage buyers and REALTORS®to remove their shoes.
Coldwell Banker Hubbell BriarWood
Whether you're moving across town or across the country, trust the professionals at TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® to safely and efficiently transport your belongings.